My four year old son was dropped off today with fading criss-crossed bruises and welts on the back of his leg. What do I do?

Dekalb, IL |

She has had a past OP which has just expired in which I temporarily took the kids as she had assaulted me while I was holding my son.

Best Answer

Take pictures of your son's injuries; bring your son to the doctor to analyze his leg. Get another OP and take temporary custody of kids. Your ex-wife has anger issues with which she needs help.

Keep the child. Go to court immediately and get an OP. Hopefully the child's mother did not beat you to it. Take him to the doctor.

If she has already called the police (they came took pictures found nothing) what chance do I have at an OP? I am still possibly expecting DCFS to call anytime. Thank you for responding.

Also, I am currently between the OP that has expired and a new Family order. His mother filed for visitation this week largely in her favor. I am also considering a new attorney.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

so now we know you have an attorney. talk with that person. why did you let your 21 day op expire? that was probably not a good move. deal with your lawyer who knows much more about your case than we do.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

he contacted me over and over this morning despite the fact that he has his own attorney. I give out my cell number on my office VM and he texted me on my cell and called me over and over when I was at church and I had to go outside and tell him to contact his own lawyer.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

The cell is just supposed to be for emergencies as it states.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

Asker needs to consult a LOCAL attorney if he wants to change lawyers. He is in DeKalb.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Thank you for the heads up. That is precisely why I do not publish or give out my cell phone number except in rare circumstances. We respect our clients and potential clients. It isn't too much to ask that they respect us.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

so true Judy

Again, I apologize.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Asker - We are sensitive to your situation and understand you are desperate for help and answers, but this is Easter Sunday. That is important for many people. It is also a weekend and just as your attorney may not be available, we are basically not available for our clients either. That being said, please understand that all the lawyers who responded here are seasoned attorneys who are sympathetic to your plight. We respect your strong sense of parenting and need to protect your child. We have all been there, done that with our own clients. Good luck to you.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

Pretty common sense that it is Easter and a weekend and you cannot get hld of the lawyer you are paying to represent you so instead you decide to over and over contact another attorney who volunteers her time on here to get her opinion.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

hold

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Peggy - Let it go. Have a Happy remainder of the Easter weekend. jg

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

Thanks Judy!

I just want to make sure I've got the timing down right. It's no biggie, but I'm curious. And I'm piecing this all together from what you've posted and the fact that it's now about 8:00 Easter Sunday a.m. and Avvo says you posted your question about nine hours ago (11:00 p.m. Saturday evening).

So, it sounds like your son came to you around sometime Friday evening, you saw the bruising and took pictures. Then you called the mother. She had excuses and got upset and made some veiled threat against you.

Then, at 1:45 Saturday morning, the police showed up, right? 1:45 a.m.?!?! That would mean that the mother waited a heck of a long time after learning of your concerns before she made the call to the cops. That time-lag would be one thing to point out to any investigators. It demonstrates that the mother wasn't concerned for the safety of the child, but rather was just fueling her anger with you, building up a good head of steam, and then called the police.

As for where to go from here, the other attorneys have the answer: hang on to your kid, take pics, get him to see the doctor, talk with a lawyer, and take appropriate action from there.

Then, All day Saturday went by and you posted you posted your question sometime, late, Saturday evening -- around 11:00 p.m.

Sir, not exactly. Picked up my son at 6pm Saturday night. Without trying to gross anyone out we are in the middle (and have a long way to go) of potty training. His vinyl seat left creases and red marks on his skin so I missed the bruises/welts which are a bit faded until bedtime change. I then took pics and made my call to his mother. So I can still persue an OP even if the cops were already here and said they would still have to turn this over to DCFS?

Wes Cowell

Wes Cowell

Yes -- your right to pursue an OP is not goverend by anything th epolice may or may not do. Questions? Call -- 312-987-9999 -- No charge, no obligation, free consultation.