Skip to main content

My first time driving with suspended license I have to go to court what will happen to me

Jackson, MS |

This is my first time the officer said I didn't have a warrant but he had to arrest me cause I was driving. I went to jail I had to pay 599.00 to get out and I still have to report to court what will happen being that I didn't no and this is my very first time being in this situation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The Mississippi Code provides as follows:

"Any person whose license issued pursuant to this article or driving privilege as a nonresident has been canceled, suspended or revoked as provided in this title or in Section 93-11-157 or 93-11-163, as the case may be, and who drives any motor vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended or revoked, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two (2) days or more than six (6) months. There may be imposed in addition thereto a fine of not less than Two Hundred Dollars ($200.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) for each offense."

Section 63-1-57.

Additionally, if the suspension is a result of a violation under the Implied Consent Chapter, the Code provides:

"Any person whose driver's license, or driving privilege has been cancelled, suspended or revoked under the provisions of this chapter and who drives any motor vehicle upon the highways, streets or public roads of this state, while such license or privilege is cancelled, suspended or revoked, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than forty-eight (48) hours nor more than six (6) months, and fined not less than two hundred dollars ($200.00) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500.00).

The commissioner of public safety shall suspend the driver's license or driving privilege of any person convicted under the provisions of this section for an additional six (6) months. Such suspension shall begin at the end of the original cancellation, suspension or revocation and run consecutively."

Section 63-11-40.

As you can see, DWLS (Driving While License Suspended) is a serious offense.

You need to contact a criminal defense lawyer to address this situation and hopefully achieve some positive results.

Lance O. Mixon
Flowood, MS

This communication is for informational purposes only, and does not establish any attorney-client relationship, pursuant to the applicable Mississippi Rules of Professional Conduct. Further, the information contained in this answer is not to be considered or taken as legal advice, and does not substitute proper, competent legal advice and representation from a licensed attorney for a legal matter.


I am not from your state, but, as you can see from the first answer, this is not a time to be going to court alone. You said you "didn't know". Didn't know what? That your license was suspended? What will happen to you will frankly depend a lot on why you were suspended in the first place. I would definitely see a "traffic attorney" if they have them where you are or if not, then a criminal defense attorney, as the first poster suggested.

Motor vehicle law and cases written about it comprise many volumes of material. There are weekly/daily updates and they may be several hundred pages. The information here may not apply to your particular situation, and you should speak with an attorney about your personal situation. Your viewing of this website, or corresponding with or calling this office, does not by itself make you our client, or make Mr. Lowenthal your attorney unless you fully retain him at which time he can ensure his opinions and knowledge of the law and process are implemented properly. His advice is considered withdrawn as not applicable to you if you do not retain him. An attorney-client relationship will only be established through the office’s retainer process. Information on this site or received over the phone is based on Mr. Lowenthal’s expertise in this particular area of the law and he will be using his years of legal experience to protect you only when retained. Payment plans are available. Please feel free to call 856-845-7060 and speak with Mr. Lowenthal about your situation.