Skip to main content

My fiancee has been arrested for shoplifting in kentucky

Elizabethtown, KY |

she was already on probation from a similar incident that took place 2 1/2 yrs ago. I believe both times it was under 300 or $500. What should i expect to happen?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


She needs to contact a criminal defense attorney ASAP. If she is still on probation, the court could try to revoke that which could result in her spending time in jail. Even if she isn't revoked on her probation, the new charges could result in her spending time in jail. She will need a good criminal defense attorney for this.


If she is on misdemeanor probation, it would expire after 2 years following the original imposition of the sentencing/judgment. If under $500.00 it is a misdemeanor, if over $500.00 it is a felony. If a felony, the probation period could be 5 years. She needs a criminal defense lawyer ASAP. She needs a defense to the new charge, and potentially a motion to revoke.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Just to drive the point home, private defense counsel really should be contacted. Many attorneys will offer free consultation over the phone and charge a flat fee or modest retainer to handle her case.

No attorney-client relationship has been created by answering this question. I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information I contribute in answering any inquiry on Avvo and I strongly encourage all concerns be addressed in the private counsel of an attorney personally contacted and retained.