Skip to main content

My Fiance was just arrested for an FTA on a minor traffic violation here in Los Angeles and has an immigration hold from INS.

North Hollywood, CA |

My fiance is thai. She has been in USA for about 4 years, Her visa was only good for 6 months and she overstayed and continued working under the table. We have been engaged a few months now and were planning to start the process of marriage with an Immigration attorney next year once my taxes are in order and we have the money. They said at the Van Nuys jail that INS is scheduled to pick her up monday. She has a 3,000 dollar engagment ring on her and I can vouch our engagemnt is sincere. She has lived with me almost 2 years, gets mail at that address etc. She has no prior record. Just curious any advice I can get upcoming to monday and what it would be suggested I can do to help prevent her from being deported.....Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hire a local immigration attorney. He/She will file for bond or ask she be released on her own recognizance AFTER she is transferred to ICE detention. Tell her not to sign anything. If all goes well, she will get bond or be released, you will marry, you will petition for her, the petition will be approved, and she will be awarded a GC. Good luck.


You're going to need someone local -- in a hurry -- to get this taken care of. Be sure that you work with a competent immigration attorney.

I must remind you that although I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney. The information I am providing you is general information about the law. If you would like specific information or advice, I am going to suggest that you make an appointment to come in, or call, to chat with us.


I agree with my colleagues.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.