Skip to main content

My fiancé was born in Texas . He has a birth certificate and social with unmatching names. What can I do to help him to correct?

Laredo, TX |

He was legally born in Austin, TX. There was a mid-wife involved over the hospital and we have papers to prove. When he was born his mother made the mistake of putting her now late boyfriend's last name over the real father's. He does have a birth certificate with his father's last name but the social has the other last name. The state of Texas is saying that he is placing himself as 2 individuals. Through the years he and his mom have gone to lawyers to correct it and all have failed. At court when everything seemed to be close to finalizing, the lady who types the paperwork put his name in english when he was given a mexican name. We have all the paperwork to help him stay legally in this country but, he needs his real social for work. What can we do to make it all right once and for all

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


"Lady who types the paperwork"???????? If it was someone in the Court ... go back and get it fixed.

If it was someone that isn't a lawyer, like a notario publico, that was performing services without an attorney license ... report her to the State Bar Association and the Attorney General's office:

PS I don't know why the other lawyers 'failed' ... you haven't told us. Perhaps it was because, although you say he was born in a hospital, there was a midwife and not a doctor.

I suggest going to one more lawyer ... sorry, we can't be of more help without seeing all the paperwork.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


This is not an immigration question. You should ask a Texan attorney.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Attorney Capriotti is correct. This is a very complex question that cannot be answered in the Avvo forum. If attorneys have worked on this case could not correct the errors with all of the documents available to them, we cannot answer your questions here.

You mention that you were in court and things were "close to finalizing" - sounds like the attorney on the case knew what he/she was doing and some type of clerical error caused the problem. Why not return to the attorney and have the error corrected? There does not seem to be a need to start the process again.

I hope that this was helpful to you and I wish you well.

Andrew W. Norfleet, Esquire Helping disabled individuals throughout Pennsylvania. DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania and is personal in nature, not professional in nature. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality