Skip to main content

My fault car accident with civil law suit

Sacramento, CA |

My insurance company said I had enough coverage 100/300 for the injuries, now I have law suit pending. I became disabled behind this accident and lost everything and I have to file bankruptcy. What should be my next step, time is ruining out; accident was 3/18/08

I lost my career of 18 years and have filed for SSDI, still pending.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Talk to your insurance company attorney and cooperate fully, their job is to protect you against the law suit. It's why all responsible motor vehicle owners and operators like yourself have insurance. That is the first step to get out of the car accident case as unscathed as possible.

Click on the 'Find a Lawyer" tab above and there are some very good bankruptcy attorneys here on AVVO to help you through that aspect of the issues that face you.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies. In the event that you have follow up questions, please post them directly on this site. This does not create an attorney-client relationship and the attorney does not read unsolicited emails. Thank You.


Sorry, your facts are not clear. Liability insurance covers you in the event someone sues you. If you were injured, that would be a separate endorsement. Jeff Adams


I assume by your post you have been sued and your insurance companyis telling you not to worry about it. The insurance company should hire a defense attorney on your behalf to defen the claim. Ultimately once discovery is completed yoru attorney should be able to tell you if in fact there is enough insurance coverage to cover the damage to the other party (parties) involved.

If you have to file bankruptcy you will likely need a bankruptcy attorney for that as the insurance defense attorney won't typically handle. However, you should discuss your situation with your insurance defense attorney as filing bankruptcy can effect how your civil case is handled.

Good luck!


Based on your statement, it appears that you are currently represented by a defense attorney appointed by your insurance company. It would be inappropriate for attorneys here on to attempt to give you advice on your case when you are already represented. You should direct all of your concerns and questions to your attorney; that is why he is being paid by the insurance company to represent you and provide you with answers.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer