Skip to main content

My father was murdered when I was 3 my family kept the case open so I could sue them they are in jail how do I sue their family

Albany, NY |

I had to wait til I was 21 now that I am I would like to sue them however I can't because they are still in jail convicted of 1st degree murder. There were 3 men and I would like to go after their families Im not sure where to start in this case

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It is difficult to determine what kind of case, if any, you have based on the limited information provided. However, given the complexities of a potential wrongful death legal action, I would strongly recommend you consult with an attorney specializing in personal injury in your local area. Most personal injury attorneys will give you a free telephone consultation to discuss the merits of your potential claim. Good luck and I hope this suggestion is helpful.


Only an attorney familiar with the laws of New York can answer your query as to whether you have a case and how to pursue one if you do. As my colleague suggests, most PI attorneys will offer a free consultation. Talk to a few attorneys so you can get a good picture of your situation. I am sorry for you that you lost your father in such a fashion and hope that you can find some sort of closure.

Attorney at Law
105 A East Maple Avenue
Langhorne PA 19047


Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.


You really need to contact a New York wrongful death lawyer. If the defendants are in jail, and their families are not somehow responsible for your father's death, there might not be any money for you to pursue.


Talk to an attorney in your city. I see no liability against the family, unless there are facts you are not stating. The family would not be resp. for the acts of other family members. You could sue the people in jail, but what will you get other than a judgment that is not worth the paper it is written on.


I am a NY personal injury attorney and I have handled many wrongful death claims. In my opinion you have no remedy. The families of the murderers are not responsible for them. The murderers themselves undoubtedly lack any money to pay a damamges award. And, you probably have a statute of limitations problem.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer