My father was killed by a drunk driver in 1995. The driver was a colleague as both had been out drinking, and was sentenced to 3

Germantown, TN |

yrs for involuntary manslaughter. My mother chose not to "sue" for pain and suffering because my father had substance abuse problems and somehow, she figured it could have easily been him in the driver's situation. But now 16yrs later, I am not satisfied with this outcome, and was wondering what it would take and how to sue for additional damaged.

I will leave school with over $100,00 in student loans that have not been offset at all by the loss of my father.

I am sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your father. Unfortunately the statute of limitations has probably for you and your mother to bring a lawsuit given your father’s death 16 years ago. However, you should check with a local personal injury attorney ASAP because statutes of limitation are state specific, sometimes with many exceptions to the rule

There are deadlines called statutes of limitations which limit the time you have to file your case.

Click on the name of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Unfortunately the statue of limitations have expired on this case.

Coming from a California lawyer, there is nothing to do about this. There is a possibility that you could sue your MOTHER if she was involved in somehow wrongfully defeating or avoiding a valid claim you had as a minor, and that you are still within time limits to bring a claim against her. This is extremely unlikely and very distasteful; and most likely you will see this discussion as a waste of ink. However, that is the only possible avenue for recovery of any money that I see that might be remotely within your described facts.
I am sorry you feel that you were left out or didn't get satisfaction from this tragedy. I am sorry you lost your dad. Fathers are extremely important. However, I think your mother probably had very good reasons for her decisions; and I recommend you move on without dwelling further on this.