Skip to main content

My father stole my us passport while i was in a foreign country, and locked it up. can i press charges from america

Miami, FL |

he took my passport, he wouldnt give it back when i asked. can i press charges from the usa if he is still in a foreign country.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not an immigration law question.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


This has elements of criminal law and/or tort law. If he will not give your passport back, you can apply for a new one

This message is intended as general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested to speak with me directly, please contact me at 604-671-7600.


In addition to getting a new passport, look at this link regarding stolen passports. Explain the circumstances, since you know who stole it, and see if criminal charges can be pursued. This is assuming you are old enough to do all this without a parent's permission or assistance.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******