Skip to main content

My father passed with no will, My step mother wants his five children to sign titles and says we have no right to anything?

Erie, PA |

If i have no right to anything why does she need my signature? I was not born yesterday, There are five adult children and my stepmother that seem to have interest in his belonging and my step mother will not even sell the items to us, We have all offer to purchase what she does not want, She will not sell it to us she want to sell it to others. Do i need an attorney, Dad did not have alot and I will have more in attorney fees than i would ever get back, Its worth it becuase some of the belongings have alot of meaning to us, Just does not seam fair.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You absolutely need an attorney, at a minimum, a local one to consult with. Unfortunately I am on the clear opposite end of the state from you hear in Delaware County. If your father died without a will there is a set of laws called the laws of intestacy which will divide up an estate of a person who passed away intestate (i.e. without a will). Do not sign a thing until you retain counsel.

Good luck. Contact my offices via the phone if we can be of any further assistance.

(610) 566-1006


You and your siblings as children of a prior relationship (not of his widow) should be entitled to a share of your father's estate under PA law; your stepmother is apparently attempting to push you into giving up your property interests. You should contact a local attorney to protect your interests; you might also consider petitioning the court to be named estate administrator. If your stepmother has already filed papers for estate administration, you should be able to find out by contacting the Erie County Register of Wills (that office also administers estates without wills), and if she's filed for appointment, you have the right to challenge it with the court.

Of course, as with all of my online answers, my advice is limited by the brevity of your question and the facts provided. Additional information would be required to provide definitive legal advice, so this answer isn't intended to, and does not, create an attorney-client relationship.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer