Skip to main content

My father passed away in 2012 in Pennsylvania. He stated that I will inherit 1/2 of the house being sold upon his wife's death.

Harrisburg, PA |

She is not my mom (his 3rd wife). She has no children and her half will go to other relatives. She isn't providing me a copy of his will after I have asked 3 times. What legal rights to I have to a copy of his will? Am I legally entitled to any of his estate now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You're going to need to hire an attorney to get things going. As you are an interested party, you have the right to petition the court to open the estate, order the production of the will, and appoint a personal representative. There's no guarantee that you'll actually be entitled to anything--as you haven't seen the will, you have no idea what's in it--but that's the way you'd go about finding out one way or the other.

My office is in Lancaster, but I do practice in Dauphin County.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Attorney Davidson is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, this situation is not unusual. Fortunately, various options exist to address and, hopefully, remedy the issue.

Contact an appropriately qualified attorney to assure your rights are protected.

This is NOT legal advice. The information contained herein is observational and for reference only. These posts are in no way intended as legal advice or counsel. Further, I am not your attorney and you are not my client. I bear no duty to provide counsel, representation or advice to you in any way. The statements I provide in this posting on Avvo do not in any way constitute an attorney-client relationship. Further, these statements are general in nature and made based on the limited facts presented by you, the Poster. Nothing I've written here should be relied upon when making legal decisions. It is your responsibility to consult an appropriately qualified attorney to seek legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer