Skip to main content

My father passed away about 3 years ago, I am just today finding out things that would make me think that I might be an heir.

Dunlap, TN |

My father lived in Ohio and I live in Tennesse, is there any public records that I can search to see if this could be true. Would like to find something before I give my time and money. Is there something out there that could help me in this search, with very low to none cost. My stepmother is hiding something from me and before it is to late, I would like to find out what it might be, although if she is hiding something from me it would have something to do with my father. Can you please help me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


At little cost, you may need to check to see if a probate case was ever opened in the state where your father died. A free consultation with an Ohio probate lawyer in that county while you were there about status of children and stepparents and rights to the estate would be in order as well as statutes of limitations for filing such matters.


In addition to Mr. Higg's suggestion, you can also check the public real estate records at little or no cost to determine how your father's real estate was held. If title was in his name alone or held as tenants in common, then probate would have been necessary, in all likelihood.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


Attorneys Higgs and Frederick have provided you with good advice. If you find anything, you should contact a local Ohio probate attorney for fact specific guidance.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con


Start with the Probate Court Clerk in the County where you father resided. They will be able to tell you whether an Estate has been opened. If a Will was filed with the Probate, they will likely have the Will. If no Probate was opened, they will have nothing.

It is probably worth your while to hire an attorney to do some investigation for you. Our office does this for people who are out of state and have questions about Tennessee probate matters. For 2-3 hours worth of work you can get a pretty thorough picture of what is (or isn't) going on.

Good luck.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer