My father just recently got arrested on 3 counts of robbery with a weapon he has bipolar and a drug addition how much time carry

Tampa, FL |

Has not been in trouble in about 17yrs. He has not been taking his medicine for bipolar. He would never hurt anyone ever. Very nice man. His wife just left him. And he just wasn't thinking straight he lives in Tampa,FL. What can they do and how much time could he be looking at??

These are VERY serious charges. A robbery with a weapon is a First degree felony, punishable by up to 30 years per count. Depending on when and what priors he has, he may be facing at a minimum years or decades in prison.
You should speak with an attorney asap. It sounds like your father may be eligible for a departure based on mental illness. A good defense lawyer can investigate the facts of the case and may be able to resolve it favorably.

I practice often in the Tampa Bay area. Feel free to call me if you have any other questions.

Good luck,
Nicholas Dorsten, Esq.
Blake & Dorsten, P.A.

Find an attorney experienced with the following Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure:

RULE 3.216. INSANITY AT TIME OF OFFENSE; and
RULE 3.211. COMPETENCE TO PROCEED: SCOPE OF EXAMINATION AND REPORT.

If your father is convicted of three counts of Robbery with a Weapon (FS 812.13(2)(b)), three counts, he could potentially be sentenced to up to 90 years in prison if the counts were run consecutive.

If your father is convicted of three counts of Robbery with a Deadly Weapon (FS 812.13(2)(a)), three counts, he could potentially be sentenced to up to 90 years in prison if the counts were run consecutive, or possibly Life.

Please feel free to contact me for a free consultation.

Sincerely,

James Regan, Esq.
http://www.defendMe.net

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

As Mr. Dorsten stated, Robbery with a Weapon is a very serious charge that carries a mandatory prison sentence. That being said, based on his mental health and substance abuse issues, the judge could give him a lighter sentence.
Good luck!
Summer Goldman
www.goldmanwetzel.com

Legal disclaimer: The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices.