My ex wife won't let me talk to my kids.

New York, NY |

She turned their phones off and pretends that they don't want to talk to me. I haven't had any news of my kids for a week. What are my options?

If you don't have an order of visitation, file a petition which includes a specific provision for phone contact. If there's an outstanding order, but it does not provide for phone contact, file a modification petition requesting such provision. If you have an order providing for specific days/times of phone contact, file a violation petition. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a NYC Family Law attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Do you have a Custody order of a Family Court that provides for visitation or shared parenting? Does it address phone calls? Perhaps you should think about petitioning for one if you don't. Personally, my own take on this from my own clients is that you may want to forgo phone calls during your non-parenting time unless your kids really want it. It's too hard to have a conversation with the other parent hawking over the conversation and often interfering and shutting it off. It offers too big fertile field for gamesmanship and arguments with the bitter exes.

A NCP is usually entitled to reasonable physical visitation if its feasible. If it is not, because of distance, let's say, you should attempt longer compensatory visitation, during school holidays, for instance, rather than phone calls. The phone thing doesn't seem to work too well. And if it's because you're one of these parents that feels a need to talk to the kids every day or lots during the other parents custodial time, you may want to rethink this at best "helicopter parenting" and at worst an annoying interference with the other parent's custody time. It's not an argument which will endear you to the Attorney for the Child or Court if push comes to shove.

My 0.02.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

This needs to be addressed in Family Court.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.