Skip to main content

My EX wife stole my daughters identity and took out a Credit card and utilities and let them go to collections.

Torrance, CA |

is my daughter liable and how do we fight this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


File a claim for identity theft with your local police dept. Send copy of report to the creditors. Notify 3 main credit reporting agencies (Trans Union, Experian and Equifax) about identity theft and ask them to remove the delinquent accounts from your daughter's credit file. She will have to do this, not you.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


Please review my legal guide on Avvo on what steps to take to root out the identity theft against your daughter so that it will not haunt her credit reports and she will not suffer harassing calls. I have provided that in the link, below. Please let me know with a thumbs up or down if the guide is helpful, which it should be, if you put the steps into action. At some point, she may need an attorney, if the collectors do not back off, after your daughter implements the steps in my legal guide.