Skip to main content

My Ex-wife refuses to sign IRS for 8332. Help Please!

Newburgh, IN |

I was divorced on Oct. 2009, It is written in my divorce decree that I get to claim one of my children. (note there is no grey area in this section) Wife is refusing to sign form 8332 what do I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your best bet is to go back to your divorce attorney to inform her attorney that she is in breach of the divorce decree if she fails to provide the Form 8332. She needs to be informed that If she fails to comply you will seek damages for her failure.
In addition you could file your return without the Form 8332 and that will surely trigger the IRS attention, but with that Form 8332 it is unclear how they will rule.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is uuthorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States.His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency. ,
website is
blog is


Depending on the state, the court may order a party to sign Form 8332. This may be a situation where you want the issue heard before the court and ask the court to order your ex to sign Form 8332 pursuant to the decree.

Disclaimer: Peter J. Abbarno is licensed to practice law in the State of Washington. This communication does not creat an attorney-client relationship. The communications is for educational purposes only and based on the limited information provided.

IRS Circular 230 Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that to the extent this communication contains advice relating to federal tax issues, it is not intended or written to be used, and it may not be used, for (i) the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on you or any other person or entity under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting or marketing to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication.


I would have to read your divorce decree to be entirely sure, but based on the information that I have I would agree with the previous answer. Also, if your decree is as solid as you say, she may be in contempt of court for failing to sign it which could mean that she has to pay your attorney's fees in bringing her to Court to get her to sign the form.

Mr. Young is licensed to practice law in Indiana. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Young strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer