Skip to main content

My ex wife just married a regisitered child sex offender. Can I get custody of my two girls?

Lake Charles, LA |

She only knew this guy a month and just rushed off to marry him. It turns out he went to jail for 6 years for having sex with a 13 year old girl and was released in 2009. My girls are ages 2 and 4. This really concerns me and I want to get custody of them. If this guy lacks the judgement to keep from sleeping with a 13 yearold, whats keeping him from messing with my girls now or in the future? My ex obviously lacks the judgement to keep the kids out of harms way. She also moved my kids to her parents house where the girls do not even have a bedroom. She is planning on moving to a very very run down practically unliveable house on her moms property. I live in a nice 3 bedroom house that I own and have a fulltime steady job. Has anyone heard of a man get custody in a similar situation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You could most likely get it where the mother only has supervised visitation or has visitation outside the presence of the convicted sex offender. The court will look at the total situation and decide based on the best interest of the children. You should consult an experienced family law attorney in your parish.

Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your case. The answer given is only intended to provide general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities.


What a stressful situation for you and your girls. I would retain an attorney to file for custody. A judge will look at the entirety of the situation in terms of what is best for your girls.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.


The children's safety and needs come first. Her decision to marry a registered sex offender puts them in direct risk of harm, by someone who has already committed a sex crime. The best thing that you can do as a parent is to petition for sole custody. Good luck.

Definitely consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer