Skip to main content

My ex-spouse and I prepared our own QDRO based on the model provided by my company. How do I file this with the court?

Detroit, MI |

Do I need to fill out a form or do I need to include a copy of the Consent Judgment or do I include a letter with the QDRO asking the court to sign it?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Send it to the court, with a copy to the opposing party ... even if you and ex spouse did it together you must formally "serve" a copy on him or his attorney by first class mail, and in your cover letter ask the court to approve it.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.


Both you and your ex should sign the QDRO and have it entered by the judge. After it has been entered with the court, serve a copy of the QDRO on the Plan Administrator. The Plan Administrator will notify the parties (and counsel, if any) if the the QDRO is qualified.