Skip to main content

My ex owes almost 2 thousand in child support. The agency asked if i want to hold him in contempt. What next?

Youngstown, OH |

Do i take him to court? My daughter doesn't want to see him.Is it worth the hassle? Background information.....My ex boyfriend owes almost 2 thousand in child support and doesn't see or buy our daughter anything.He has another family with 2 other little girls. My husband plans to adopt her,she's 12(in ohio) My ex knows where we live and has my number but never sends gifts or calls or texts to check on her.
He has not made any attempts to see her in a year.and last payments she received was only twice in September and October of last year and was less then half of what he was ordered to pay.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Talk to an adoption and see if you can do the adoption without the consent of the father. If so, do it immediately and collect the money later.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.


I agree with Mr. Thompson. Best to go ahead and pursue the adoption now, as it sounds like you may have the grounds to move forward without consent.

In Ohio, a stepparent adoption may proceed without the consent of the other parent if:

1) The other parent has had only minimal (de minimus) contact with the child for at least one year immediately prior to the filing of the petition for adoption. Please note that courts have construed actions such as sending a birthday card as enough to meet this standard and prevent the adoption from moving ahead.

2) The other parent has paid no required support for at least one year prior to the filing of the petition for adoption.

While it has not yet been one year since a support payment was made (even though it wasn't the full amount), it sounds like it may have been a year since there has been contact. You should consult with an attorney who can walk you through the next steps (and you will still be able to collect any child support already owed, even after the adoption).

Best of luck!

Raenell Nagel
Nagel & Dougherty LLC

Serving clients across Ohio

Information provided in this response takes into account only the laws of Ohio. This information is not intended to be used or relied upon as legal advice or opinion about any specific matter or issue. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Raenell Nagel, the law firm of Nagel & Dougherty LLC, or any of its individual attorneys.


What is your priority? Adoption or getting paid? If its the latter holding him in contempt may be the only way to get paid.



adoption..i am not after the money..he is a deadbeat parent.. i just want to make sure the state doesn't push forward to try to make us do this.

Gary Roger Waitzman

Gary Roger Waitzman


Then I agree, pursue the adoption first.



thank you so much! We will begin the search for the lawyer.


If you take him to Court for child support, he may demand visitation, which may interefere with your adoption plans if he has not paid or visited for a period in excess of a this would remove his ability to object to the adoption. Many factors to consider here...Good Luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.