Skip to main content

My ex is using the courts to abuse / harass me. How can I make it stop?

Buffalo, NY |

We currently have a custody case in progress, There is also a domestic violence case. We each have temp restraining orders. Recently the ex filed a false police report which resulted in my arrest. The police didn't care that I had witnesses , did not hear my side of the story etc. He is doing this to help him gain custody and because of jealousy of my new spouse/ life. I have at least 3 police reports of his behavior starting from 2007. I believe he is also now stalking me. He has repeated information to my parents he couldn't possibly know. We have no friends in common and I do not speak to his family. Every time he asks for something in regards to our child and I say no, he files something against me. Last time was the false police report. How can I protect myself?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hire an experienced child custody lawyer in your area and follow their advise. Do not post details on line, this forum is not confidential. Speak in your lawyer's office and bring all the paperwork to your lawyer.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Speak to your attorney or hire one.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


You need to retain experienced counsel to help and guide you ASAP.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.


There is no way to stop someone from filing petitions or even from making false police reports. But if the courts start realizing that he is doing so, they will usually dismiss his petitions or grant orders that he opposes. In order to prosecute someone for filing false reports, you have to prove that the person knew the allegations were false when made. This is very difficult.

If you don't have a lawyer yet, get one.

This anawer is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and may be considered attorney advertising. This answer should not supplant advice received from any attorney the questioner may have or obtain, as that attorney will be able to provide more thorough and informed advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer