Skip to main content

My ex-husband may be receiving settlements for investments we made while married. How can I find out if this is true.

Irvine, CA |

These investments were made, then the companies claimed bankruptcy. We divorced last year and now he is saying that he did not receive anything. Yet, I know that the court payed out. Can I find out about ALL our investments some how? And if so, how can I do this without letting him know this and hiding them some how.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You probably cannot do this without him finding out. Here are some suggestions:
1. If you know the bankruptcy case number, pull the case, and review it. (He will not find out about this as it is a public record)
2. If you know the names of the investments, subpoena that information.
3. Request his tax returns, as the investment income will have to show.
Best of luck to you.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. **************CAUTION*************** CAUTION*************** CAUTION ****************** CAUTION************ Readers should be cautioned that AVVO cannot be relied on as they have a corrupt and dishonest rating system. AVVO routinely allows "client reviews" to be posted by individuals that are not "real" clients. AVVO does not ensure that the public receives truthful accurate information.


If you had an attorney represent you in the divorce, you should be speaking with that attorney for a number of different reasons.

As Nadine suggested, you can pull up the public records for the bankruptcy case if you know the docket number, oftentimes that is a helpful place to start.

In all likelihood at one point or another you are going to need a lawyer to go after the money (if there is any) and unless you have an atypical amount of legal experience for the average person, it would be unwise for you to proceed on your own in this matter; you can use the avvo lawyer search to find an experienced local lawyer.

Best of luck

There is NO attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am NOT your attorney. We have no signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees. Further, everything we both just wrote is publicly available on the internet and would be the same as if we were talking in a crowded restaurant, there are many witnesses looking over your shoulder and can repeat anything you write here. If you need legal assistance use Avvo to find a local attorney in your jurisdiction that you feel can best represent your interests as a zealous advocate. My experience is in corporate tax, white collar criminal defense, partnership tax, and tax controversy/litigation. If you're being audited by the IRS or state taxing authority, or you are taking an unusually risky tax position on a return, that is the kind of thing you should have experienced counsel on your side and we can set up an initial consultation. If you have a family law, debt collection, violent crime sort of issue then I do not handle that. Do not contact me for an initial consultation on non-tax matters.


As Nadine suggested, you can pull up the public records for the bankruptcy case if you know the docket number. But chances are you probably will have a hard time finding the information. On the other hand, you can hire an attorney who will be able to request the documents.

My comments are NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after you have signed an engagement letter. Answering this question does not create an attorney client relationship. Remember that without attorney client privilege you could possibly divulge information that can hurt your legal rights in the future. I am a tax attorney in Miami Florida. I can help you with your federal tax issues via a secure client portal if required.


If the settlements are so significant that you think it will change what alimony and or child support might be owed to you then consult with your divorce attorney and consider issuing him a subpoena to obtain those records.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer