Skip to main content

My ex-husband has remarried in 2010. How can i get proof that he has remarried?

New York, NY |

I need to prove to my fiance's church which is coptic orthodox that he has remarried and that is the only thing I can think of to prove it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can see if he has a marriage license in the relevant county...or if there was a marriage announcement in a local newspaper.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


You may engage in a search of records available in a search through an agency or investigator, to insure that you find evidence of the marriage if he married away from his home county, etc.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


You can search the marriage licenses in the County Clerk's Office in the county where you suspect he was married. Informally, you can do searches on Facebook, etc. as many times people list their marital status online.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


Since this is a demand by your Church, this is not a legal matter. This is a matter for their rules and procedures. Normally I would refer you back to the church to ask what proof is sufficient for their needs.

I agree with my colleagues that you should be able to obtain information relevant to his marriage in the county in which he was remarried. The marriage license may normally be obtained in NYC through the office of Vital Records.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer