Skip to main content

My ex husband has not help or paid for anything for his children in years but in our divorce papers he is listed as residential

Chicago, IL |

We go to court next Monday and have to go in front of our divorce judge so i can become the residential parent . I was never told by my divorce lawyer to do this if things change will I be able to get some kind of support?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


there is no magic phrase in illinois law entitled residential parent. but many many lawyers and judges use it. there is no definition. see in re the marriage of means.

so, rather than attempting to get something that may be of little or no use, figure out what you really want and then do a motion to ask for that.

why are you going to court monday? your motion or ex's? who is asking for what?

you would be best off getting a lawyer.



I motioned it in for me to be on file as the custodial parent and child support. thank you


Your question is not clear. Custodial parents are entitled to child support. To clarify things, you need to take your, "divorce papers' to a law office this week if you have not done so already. I would recommend the sooner the better. Take the documents that also set it for Monday. It is sometimes very difficult for an attorney to go to court on the next business day as their calendars fill up weeks out. Do not wait until Friday. Get all your papers together and get to a family attorney.
Good luck,


Yes you should be able to so long as ex is working and/or has some income. Bring a lawyer with you for best results.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer