Skip to main content

My ex-husband and I divorced in 2008 and in my decree it states that he was to pay me money within 2 years and he never paid up.

Chicago, IL |

I went back and filed again in 2012 for him being in contempt with the ruling in and to seek finally getting my money from him. That didn't quite happen either because he never paid, again. In filing that, I put down the options that I'd like to have held against him, like a lein that went on the house we once owned together when we got married but, that later went into foreclosure. Still, nothing. Well, my ex just won the lottery for a large amount and I'm wondering how can I collect my money that the judge awarded me from our divorce? He hasn't worked since 2011. Also, in my previous claim I put down child support that he was behind, which he hasn't paid either.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Consult with a local lawyer in your area about the options you may have to execute upon the judgment and other enforcement options you may have. Generally, contempt is the best option in domestic cases,. As it now appears he has the money to pay, now may be a good time to file contempt once again.

* If you found this answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly. . * The above response is not legal advice, rather it is general educational information provided as a public service and is not a comprehensive statement of the law. Laws vary from state to state and are subject to change, which could affect the accuracy of the information. I am licensed only in North Carolina. The materials contained on this site, including attorney responses, is not legal advice or a substitute for your own legal counsel. The above response and use of this site does not form an attorney-client relationship. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your state or local area. You should consult an attorney in your state for advice regarding your individual situation and should not act on (or refrain from acting based on) the information contained in the above response or on this site without receiving in-person professional legal counsel. It is important to have an in-person consultation with an attorney in your state as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.


Head back to court now that you are aware of proceeds.


are you the same person who asked about lottery earlier this week? go hire a lawyer. file a contempt petition. ask the court to enjoin the lottery dispersing any money until you are paid. get to court now. do not delay one day.


Hire a lawyer and file a petition for rule.