Skip to main content

My ex has supervised visitation. How is this usually handled? The custody order doesn't specify.

Lake Charles, LA |

I have full sole custody, he has supervised visitation. The custody order says I get to set the duration, time, date, place and supervisor. How long is an appropriate visitation? Because of his history of threats to take/hide the kids, physical violence and drug/alcohol issues, I prefer it to be only one hour - is this typical? I'd also like my husband to be the one to supervise as my presence tends to set my ex off and he seems to be less volatile around my husband. Is this a good idea, or does it need to be someone neutral, like an off-duty police officer? And if I have to hire someone, who pays the cost? The order doesn't say. Ex also lives out of state - do I need to take this into account when scheduling visits? Any advice on supervised visitation would be helpful!

Please know also that my ex is threatening to take me back to court to try to get custody from me. I want to be sure that I'm doing what is legally expected of me just in case he goes through with his threat - I don't want to lose custody because a judge didn't think I was giving him adequate visitation! I do not have an attorney - I represented myself in the custody hearing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am sorry to inform you that there is no "typical" when it comes to supervised visitation. Apparently your judgment leaves the details up to you as the sole custodial parent, so you are probably the best one to balance the need for the child to establish or develop some type of healthy relationship with the other parent against the importance of keeping the child safe during the visits. You may want to consider choosing a safe place, in state, with a supervisor you trust. Your husband might not be considered the most unbiased witness if problems arise and have to be addressed in court later.


I agree with the other answer. Contact the Louisiana Department of Family Services and see if they know of a visitation center that is set up to handle such supervised visitations. Some larger cities have such a center. A normal visitation would be on a Saturday at some public location. A neutral person might be a trained social worker or someone else such as a clergy person. Usually visitation could be at a recreational facility like a zoo or movie theater.

Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your case. The answer given is only intended to provide general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer