Skip to main content

My ex girlfriend posted on Facebook that I have a childporn collection. Which is totally false. Can I press charges?

Daleville, VA |

After an argument over our kids she put that I had a collection of child porn of Facebook. She did this thinking that she would be able to file for full custody of our two children. It's total slander and 100 percent untrue.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Immediately speak with a local attorney and provide proof of the postings. There are many issues involved here which can impact custody, criminal charges, and civil charges.

I feel certain given these facts that an attorney will speak with you with a free initial consultation.

Please note that this response is based upon the limited information available in the question. In addition, it is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship and is offered only as general information and not as legal advice.


I agree with Attorney Allen. Contact a local attorney ASAP.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with Mr. Allen. Also be sure to keep evidence of the postings before your girlfriend takes them down - try taking a screen shot and/or printing the postings. Good luck to you.

This communication may be considered attorney advertising. Previous results are not a guarantee of future outcome.No Attorney Client Relationship The use of any content provided on this site and your provision or submission of any information while using this site will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Ms. Asselin. Please be aware that any information that you provide by reason of your use of this site is not privileged or confidential.The content of this site is provided solely for informational purposes: it is not intended as and does not constitute legal advice. The information contained herein should not be relied upon or used as a substitute for consultation with legal, accounting, tax, career and/or other professional advertising.


Also, report the abuse to FB


This is a civil defamation situation, not something which is subject to criminal prosecution.

I suggest you retain a family law attorney to represent you in your litigation with your ex. If you are not represented, I see you having a hard time in court. Your family law attorney may be able to convince her to take down this defamatory posting.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


What she said is defamatory and subjects her to civil liability. Speak with an attorney about this and keep records of the postings.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer