Skip to main content

My ex forged my signature on a legal document regarding child custody matters. Is there anything that I can do?

Chicago, IL |

My ex forged my signature on Court documents regarding child custody matters in Illinois. The papers were not the Final Judgment, but they were submitted to the Court and the document impacted things. The document was forged in Nov. 2010. Is there anything that I can do? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Before we can answer your question, you need to answer a few of ours:

1) When did you learn of this forgery?

2) What have you done about it since learning of it?

3) Why didn't you do anything about this sooner?



Hi, I will try to answer as best as I can: 1. Early 2011. 2. I had an attorney (family law attorney) whom I told this to. 3. My attorney didn't mention anything about it, comment on it, or act on it. I assumed that, maybe, nothing could be done. I was very confused, I was dealing with out of state issues and just was focusing on custody with my son.

Wes Cowell

Wes Cowell


Letting this thing slide for three years is a problem. You can complain about it; but the reality is the court almost certainly won't do anything about it. Your post is painted with a very broad brush and is severely lacking in facts; and that makes crafting an answer very difficult. I can say this, however: if the problems created by this forgery are impacting children, the court will probably bend over backwards to take care of it. Otherwise, you're probalby stuck with your prior acquiescence.


Your question is vague. What document? When did you learn of the forgery? How did the document impact your case? Have you discussed this with your lawyer. There simply is not enough information here to respond to your inquiry.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your geographic location. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.


yes, you could have done something about it when you first found out in 2011. hard to do anything about it now. take all the papers to a lawyer for advice.


This is impossible to answer on here. Take the document in with the rest of your file to speak to a lawyer .

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer