Skip to main content

My ex-employer wrote me a bad check, & owes me 2 weeks pay, what should I do?

Hillside, NJ |

I left my job 2 weeks ago & the day I quit, I got a letter in the mail for a check cashing place I use to go before I opened a bank account. The letter stated that a check I brought in back in December bounced & they contacted my employer but nothing has been done, so now the respectability is mine to pay the money back or be taken to court. My other issue is that I'm owed two weeks pay & they refuse to pay me & it's been a week now. What should I do?

+ Read More

Filed under: Employment
Attorney answers 2


First, you should file a complaint against your former employer. Also, you can file a criminal complaint against your employer for the bad check. Call if you would like a free consultation.

Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.


I suggest you visit the NJ Department of Labor and Workforce website where you can file a complaint through that agency without the necessity of going to court or even hiring an attorney. You can find the link to filing a complaint through this state agency by following this link:
For a modest wage claim, such as yours, hiring an attorney may cost you more than the amount of money that you would get in a court.