Skip to main content

My ex either forged, or had forged my name on an IRS check for $14,000. How do I prosecute him and do I have a civil suit

Silver Spring, MD |
Attorney answers 4


You can both have criminal charges filed against him for forgery and theft and sue for damages. If you have a copy of the front and back of the check, this will be very important. If your ex is charged with a crime, he can be ordered to pay restitution if convicted.

Office: 410-821-2910; e-mail: This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is not established with me until a retainer agreement is signed and/or a retainer or fee is paid. If you wish to schedule a consultation, you may contact me at 410-821-2910 or e-mail me at No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.


Contact either the Office of the State's Attorney in the county you reside and ask to speak to the economic crimes division, or go to the local police department and advise them of the issue. You may be referred to the commissioner's office, but I would suggest getting law enforcement involved at this stage. You will need to have all of your documents in order to prove your case

I am pleased to communicate with you concerning legal matters. However, if you communicate with me through this website regarding a matter for which my firm DOES NOT ALREADY REPRESENT YOU, your communication may NOT be treated as privileged or confidential, and shall NOT be deemed to create an attorney/client relationship. Furthermore, you should NOT provide confidential information to my law firm in an e-mail inquiry or otherwise unless we have FIRST entered into a representation agreement.


Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490. You will need to fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039.
Do not start with a civil suit until all criminal/IRS proceedings and investigations are concluded. Court ordered restitution in a criminal proceeding will get you paid back a lot faster and more certain than trying to get a civil judgment and chasing your ex down hoping to attach his assets, assuming you can locate them.

Mark William Oakley

Mark William Oakley


You may also need to file this form, instead:


Be careful. You might want to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney about you potential exposure for tax fraud or other charges, before you call law enforcement attention to yourself.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer