Skip to main content

My ex boyfriend put a restraining order against me because we broke up and I was truly hurt, left some drunk messages, nothing

Attleboro, MA |

that was threatening, just how he lied to me etc. That I have a new boyfriend which is true. Then sent a message on Facebook to his daughter to be a little nicer to his dad. Forwarded a text from my new boyfriend to show him that someone will pay attention to me and then I got a restraining order from him. Nothing that was threatening.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Most likely these are violations of the restraining order. To be certain or if you are charge you should contact a local defense attorney.


You have the right to contest a restraining order (also referred to as a 209A order). Typically the Court schedules a hearing for 10 days after the original issuance of the order. At that hearing you can explain to the court why the restraining order should not be continued. To contest the restraining order you or your attorney needs to show that there is no likelihood of abuse. Abuse is defined by the general laws as "(a) attempting to cause or causing physical harm; (b) placing another in fear of imminent serious physical harm; (c) causing another to engage involuntarily in sexual relations by force, threat or duress."

Until the retraining order is vacated DO NOT CONTACT the plaintiff by any means. A violation is a criminal offense and you can be arrested and held in lieu of bail.

Feel free to contact me to discuss your case.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided in response to a "hypothetical" question and provided for general, informational purposes and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The information presented is not legal advice and may change based additional information and research. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney to discuss your specific legal issues. This is not intended to constitute legal advertising or solicitation, but rather to educate.


I am not sure that I actually heard a question in here, but I assume you are asking if what you describe are violations of the Restraining Order. If the telephone calls and messages came after you were served with notice of the Restraining Order, then they would certainly quallify as violations. It is not wise to post admissions that you did certain things here online either. You really should speak with a Criminal Defense Lawyer as soon as possible and DO NOT CONTACT your ex boyfriend and DO NOT POST ADMISSIONS here or anywhere else.


It depends on the content of the message. Being drunk is no defense. Contact an attorney if you believe the RO is wrongfully issued - contest it?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer