My ex-boyfriend is threatening to put a naked pic of me on the internet. what should i do ?

Talco, TX |

We are not together and i haven't seen or met him in person. I met him on the internet. & he is 18 and im 16. He is just really mad at me. I've moved on and havent called him or texted him for over a week now, but today he called me and we starting arguing, and ive never threatened him in any sort of way. but he is threatening to put a pic of my boobs on the internet. im scared and dont know what to do.

Best Answer

I agree with both my colleagues. His behavior is horrible, but yours is really unwise --sending someone you've never even met pictures of your boobs so they'd have this power over you?

Internet relationships are not real, they're just digital messages, and you shouldn't fool yourself that you actually had a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend here.

I agree that you should use the child pornography laws that help you to your advantage, and call the police NOW to see if they'll contact this person and get your photo(s) back. Then either call a lawyer, or simply ignore this person. De-friend them, block their calls and emails, and use the technology that you mistakenly think constitutes a relationship to prevent further contact from this person.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

thanks& usually im the good girl, but i have depression problems & i sorta look to guys for attention, and i just get caught up in the moment and make stupid decisions, but trust me ive learned my lesson

If you are 16, his posting of your picture would be under child pornography and he can be charged with a crime. If you really wanted to get across that you are serious, you could have an attorney write this letter on your behalf about the pictures and to stop any communication.

One more thing, sending nude pictures or, hell, even taking nude pictures on your phone is a bad idea as these may get sent out by the person you sent it to or anyone they sent it to or your phone gets hacked (happens all the time).

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

You need more than legal advice. Someone you have never met and only know from communicating online is not your boyfriend or you ex boyfriend. Uploading naked images of someone under the age of 16 can be seen as uploading child pornography under the law, so you may want to let him know that. Then do not communicate with him further and if he continues to harass you go to the police. In fact, you shuold file a police report right now as to his threat so that it is on record. I

The answers given are informational only and do not constitute legal advice. Please feel free to contact me if you want to obtain legal advice from me.

Do what attorney Koslyn suggests, prepare to probably get a stern lecture from people, and quit sending naked pictures to people you've never met.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Dan's expertise lies in the electronic entertainment (video game) industry, as well as complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. He primarily represents game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies.

"Sexting" is an evolving issue regarding the use of the Internet. As my fellow counsel have stated, it is illegal to post a nude photo of a child (anyone under 18 years of age) on the Internet. It may, in fact, be a felony and could lead to greater punishment than actually abusing a child (which is a topic for another discussion).

I have attached a link to a scholarly discussion of the issue, and some other Texas specific sources, but you need to consult a local attorney and consider filing charges against this "boyfriend."

Lee Keller King

Lee Keller King

Let me add that, because you are a minor, you will probably need your parents to be "in the loop" and accompany you to the attorney consult. At your age, you generally cannot enter into a contract, including a contract for legal representation. Have you share this with your parents? I understand they might be upset, but as the father of three sons, I know I would prefer they came to me with such a problem, rather than to learn about it elsewhere. Kids will be kids, and there are ways to get into trouble that didn't exist when I was 16 or 18 (unless one had a Polaroid camera). But your parents cannot help you if they don't know what is going on.