My ex boyfriend bought me gifts well over 200k and is demanding them back , can he take me to court and take it all back ?

New York, NY |

I was in a non exclusive relationship in which he was able to do whatever he wanted with other women and now we're not speaking he he wants all of the nice expensive watches, bags ,shoes back . His assistant and himself also provided me with checking account information and credit card information to purchase whatever I wanted online in which I did and nothing was cheap! Every purchase of clothing shoes bags well over 3,000 per order more then occasionally . He's threatening to take everything back because he assumes I was dating about her man during the last few months we were together , and is threatening me that he will have a private investigator speak to my family and friends if I engaged in any actions with any other men while he was my infantile provider what do I do?

Not infantile !! Ment to say financial provider .. NOTE : he's 65 I'm 25 and he's has a lot of power in nyc .

A gift is a gift. He would have to prove it was not a gift. My concern is that he will call the police and claim that you stole his credit card number.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

All the things I ordered I have in written email from his and his assistant his credit card information given directly to me , my only concern is everything I ordered for myself will I be penalized for ?

While I agree with the comment of Attorney Rothstein regarding a gift being a gift, I also share his concern that these purchases may be portrayed in a way which is inconsistent with them being a gift. The longer this arrangement was in place, the less likely he will be able to portray it as something else as he would have been clearly aware of it and did nothing about it until now.

No information provided in response to these questions can be relied upon in any way without further personally consulting with Attorney Kerrigan and Attorney Kerrigan consulting personally with you regarding your specific legal situation.

So your saying this can be held against me ? Is he even able to take everything back if he decided to take me to court? Or will the judge think this is a joke ?

Timothy George Kerrigan

Timothy George Kerrigan

I cannot predict what a judge will do under the circumstances without doing a proper investigation into the facts underlying the dispute. All I was saying is that it is not entirely clear which way a judge will go without knowing more.