Skip to main content

My employer is forcing me to wear an uncomfortable uniform, Do I have rights?

Bend, OR |

Well, I work In a an Active retirement Home with a full service restauarant and extensive menu. We seat about 100 persons per day. We all know what they order as usual., etc... They keep the temp at 74 degrees for the old peeps, I understand that. We have to wear black long sleeve shirts and heavy vests. Some over weight servers are not required to wear the vests. as thay cant fit in to them. Even if they did, can and we all had these vests,. Our Boss has said she will never consider another uniform for us. Is that LEGAL? we have even had our residents ask our Manager and she just laughs at there requests! Thanks Trish

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In general, your employer can decide what your uniform at work will be. If your uniform is so uncomfortable that it is causing health problems, like a rash, you may be able to get an accommodation like the overweight workers in your workplace. In that case, you should speak with your supervisor and/or your human resources department about an accommodation.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.


Unless it's causing you physical harm, yes, it's legal. Your 'right,' I'm afraid, is the right to find another job.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online: