Skip to main content

My employer asking my SSN for 1099? But I don't want to give my personal info to them because they hire illegal immigrants

Chicago, IL |

I am international student and graduated in 2011. I am still under my post-completion status. Since I've graduated I worked for two different companies. First one was hotel reception but I didn't directly hired by the HOTEL, I was hired by an agency( the hotel was paying agency). In time, the agency was charging 2 dollars from my salary but I didn't pay any taxes. I received checks from an agency bi weekly and I worked 30 hours per week at the hotel. Second one was regular company and I worked under W-2.. So, I was paying taxes which was okay but a few days ago the agency called me and asked my SSN for 1099. Since, I was paid by the hour I must not expect 1099. Am I correct? We should have fill I-9 or W2 ?
Plus, the agency hire people who are illegal immigrants.

The agency didn't file any paper form with me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you want to work and get paid you're supposed to provide proof of being authorized to do so. If you don't trust the employer don't work for them.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


Visit any CPA office and review your wage payment structure with a professional accountant to make a correct decision. Also, an allegation that any agency hires illegal immigrants has nothing to do with the fact that you must submit your correct Social Security number to the agency for 1099 form if you worked in a capacity of an independent contractor for that fiscal year.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Employers need your social security number so that they can do proper reporting with the IRS for tax purposes. The fact that they hire illegals has nothing to do with compliance with respect to you. There are specific requirements to be a 1099 independent contractor.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:


You should not expect to be offered any employment if you refuse to provide a social security number. If you have earned income and not declared it for taxes, you should expect problems with your immigration to the U.S.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer