My elderly mother broke a leg. She was sent to Rehab. We did not recognize the name but apparently it was a Nursing Home

Braintree, MA |

that was closed some time ago. And reopened. It's hard to get a straight answer but it sounds like it the same group or personal with a different name. They are pushing to discharge her but then insisting that she needs Rehab and Therapy. An Elder Group told us of our rights under Medicare. Since the Rehab knows we spoke with the advisors they are hostile. The 'boss' said something so off the wall it was scary. We go to meeting and see the 'boss' and insurance 'care person' and their 'care person' talking. Then the meeting is a lecture of nonsense. If I dare open my mouth i am spoken to like a child and told I know nothing. I got up and and called the number posted for Elder Affairs, they said something about not dealing with Nursing Homes. Upon return the 'boss' said she was

was going to was someone...I said ok she got red and ran into her office I am trying to move my mother and apparently upon hearing this the Nursing Home called the potential Home, they wanted to me to know what they were doing. This is all too much. In the middle of it all my mother's friend showed up at the Nursing Home to see about putting her brother there, sadly he died overnight from a fall at an Assisted Living, but the Nursing Home told me they didn't want me discussing anything with that potential client. I felt threatened. Is this typical behavior with Nursing Homes doing Rehab and Ins, and what about medical privacy, phoning other Nursing Homes and then adding insult to injury after mistreating me and my mother telling up to keep their secrets.....I called our Estate Attorney and he said it wasn't his field and that he hears things like this all the time. Is it true? This is common? Where do these people get the nerve to behavior like this? Or better said how do you stop this intrusion?

Best Answer

Unfortunately, the conduct you describe is far too common. Nursing homes always claim that they are a wonderful place to be and that they treat residents and their family members as if they were their own family. Yet, once the resident is there, family members are often kept in the dark or in some cases, employees are openly hostile to them. It is sad. With respect to your specific case, you need to talk with a Massachusetts attorney who can provide you with the an answer that utilizes the specifics of Massachusetts law. Please call me friend David Hoey. He is in Massachusetts and is an excellent lawyer. In fact, he has a "10" rating here on Avvo. You can reach him at 877-529-4839. Good luck to you!

do u have other references...my concern is too small money for that arena

Although contacting a nursing home malpractice attorney isn't a bad idea, you also may wish to call in a geriatric care manager (GCM). A GCM is a private social worker or nurse who specializes in working with the elderly. The GCM can assess your mother's situation and make recommendations about appropriate placement and services based on those needs and your mother's goals. Since GCMs are professionals, they tend to be treated with more respect than you apparently have been.

If your mom's facility is on the South Shore, you could call Overlook C.A.R.E. at (781) 837-7444 and ask to meet with one of their GCMs.

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.

With all due respect a 10 yr old could figure out what this woman needs. Or just read the surgeons orders. Don't get us wrong...thanks for the thought, but the concept just adds to the disgust of the state of affairs with the elderly...... this is how we see it..... So, we have surgeons orders, house doctor, house doctor assistant, many nurses, 3 social workers (all of whom seem to be the source of the problems and some of the most disrespectful people I have ever met), the 'boss' who says she is a Social Worker, PT's OT's, and really we need to hire someone else. Having said that you might have read that we did contact an 'Elder Group' 3 actually, first had no qualifications but made it sound like they did, second we spoke with and stopped the conversation because all they wanted to know what the income and savings in a quick attempt to place her at one of their referrals for a quick finders fee...I think we seemed desperate and they saw green, they had independent social workers, independent ... they were reading a script, we got out and walked out, we believe they called the home and told them we were there. Pretty sad to think that a woman can't even recover from a broken leg in peace. O my thoughts this is Medicare Fraud. Nursing Home not providing needed care but billing Medicare, wasting Medicare money on unnecessary personal and passing on the cost, when the Medicare money would be better spent on doctors, insurance fraud with regard to Medicare benefits...

E. Alexandra Golden

E. Alexandra Golden

Well, one thing is very clear -- communication has broken down. I suggest you focus on the immediate issue of getting your mother appropriate care now and deal with the allegations of fraud, abuse, etc. later. If you're this angry, it's a lot more difficult to be an effective advocate. That's why I'm suggesting you could use some help.

NP we moved her and the situation is greatly different. We were told similar to Att Terry's statement that this is very common, it's a shame, a giant blemish on society, not sure that the victims or advocates are being treated with respect when their concern is critizied.

I believe communication began with us standing up for the patient's rights and not allowing her to be discharged or discarded. If more people were better prepared then maybe 'common' won't be so 'common'. the other family member...

I just want to point out that we did look into the company that you referred. It is hardly independent as it has Assisted Living facilities, Home Nursing, etc. Their goal seems to be to find a placement. I see by your many answers that you are a huge advocate of Social Workers and Nurses Placing People. We believe that our Medical Doctor(s) are the best for source reliable and unbiased diagnosis and opinion. I just wonder why you are so eager to pass everything to a non-medically trainer Social Worker who works for an agency in the business of Nursing Homes and Assisted Livings.... I won't ask the Lunch Lady about my kids test scores nor the librarian. I see by your blog that you work with some Social agency or contract. Honestly, it does not make sense to me to involved more parties when the question is the incompetence of a facility. It's mute now as we moved but why pay for someone to tell us what we know....it doesn't solve the abuse of a facility.

don't mean anything ... just can not see the point....except that Seniors are big business and everyone seems to want to make a living off of them