My driver's license was suspended and I was not notified. I continued to pay on my auto policy but am I covered?

San Rafael, CA |

I recently found out that my drivers license was suspended and I did not know--never received notice from the DMV. Apparently its been several years and I've just found out about it. My question is this: for the entire time in question I have been paying my auto insurance policy and it has never lapsed. If I am driving with a suspended license (which I am trying to sort out pronto), and paying my insurance, do I still have coverage or is the policy functionally void as a result of this scenario? Does it depend on the specific insurance company or is there some sort of state standard that addresses this issue? For obvious reasons I need to remain insured while I sort this issue out and I am concerned about my liability.

Report this to your insurance company to resolve.

Thanks to each of you for your response--it is appreciated and I do have a call into my carrier but none of the answers provided actually answers the question from a legal point of view. If I've been paying for coverage and in fact I don't have coverage then there's an issue about exactly what I've been paying for, and if I do have coverage then I can breathe easier knowing that I haven't been driving about without any sort of coverage at all. Are you saying that this may be different depending on the carrier, or is there something relative to this as a function of the CA Dept. of Insurance and rules regarding this sort of thing? If you are able to shine some additional light on this matter some clarity would be really helpful.

As Mr. Lassen advised, report it to your insurance carrier.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Find out why your license is suspended if you do not know, and get it fixed right away. Also, you should contact your insurance company and let them know about your license.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.