Skip to main content

My dog was bit by my neighbor's dog. Can I seek reimbursement?

New Britain, CT |

My sister was walking my dog around the block, somehow my neighbor's pitbull got loose and attacked my dog. We filed a police report and took my dog to the vet. I've amassed a bill over $3500. Can I seek reimbursement from my neighbor and if so how? I heard if they have home owners insurance, that may cover the cost, but what if they don't?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Their insurance is not your problem. Send them a demand letter immediately enclosing the vet bills. If they do not pay, sue them in small claims court. Your sister must testify in court, and you must take the vet bills with you. Whether or not the neighbor wants to tender it to his/her insurance is not your problem. That's between the neighbor and the carrier. If you win, the court will issue the judgment and your neighbor will have to pay you, where he gets the money will not be your concern legally. You can also have a lawyer send a demand letter to get his attention.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.


As the prior attorney stated, you want to initially send a "demand letter" requesting that the people pay the bill with a deadline to respond. You may want to hire an attorney to do this. If they do not respond and/or you are unable to work something out, then you will either want to sue them in small claims court or hire an attorney to sue them. Yes, you can seek reimbursement. The dog owner's home owners insurance may cover the expenses.

Michelle L Radloff 248-767-0239. The advice provided here is provided under the limitations of Avvo's terms of use and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.


If they don't have homeowners insurance, then have an attorney file a demand to the owners personally.