My dog got bit by another dog. Her dog was at fault and she is refusing to pay the vet bill. What can I do legally?

San Francisco, CA |

The dog bite was one nip from her Shepard Mix (larger dog). There was no fight from my dog. My dog was not engaged with her dog and was intimidated when her dog approach him. The bite was on the rib cage on the side and produced a minor laceration.

Took my dog to the ER right away and had to be sedated, 5 stitches, drain placed in, antibiotics, and pain meds. I got her contact number and texted her updates. She is pleading financial burden, but I offered her to help pay in installments. She is not responded to my last text or phone call to work out an agreement.

You can file a small claims action. Good luck.

If the dog owner has homeowners or renters insurance,they will pay your claim. Send her a letter demanding payment immediately or the info regarding her insurance. Sue her if she ignores you. I hope your dog is ok.

The owner of the aggressive doing should pay for the veterinarian bills incurred. If the owner fails to respond to your messages and/or refuses to turn the matter over to the homeowner's insurance carrier, you should file a small claim lawsuit against the owner of the aggressive dog.

It looks like your best path forward is to sue the owner of the other dog in small claims court.