Skip to main content

My divorce was 8 yrs. ago. My attorney dropped me when he said it would cost more than what I paid. Now he wants $1600 .

Moncks Corner, SC |

I paid $3100.00 . When the office called to say to continue it would cost more. I told them I could not pay more. He asked the court not to represent me. I went to court without an attorney. Now after 8 yrs another lawyer send a letter saying I have 45 days to pay or they will sue. Can they do this?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 2


That depends on the agreement you signed when you retained the lawyer. A sent an agreement if the attorney did indeed do work you did not pay for the lawyer has the right to collect.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


They can - but you should check the statute of limitations on breach of contract in your state. It may be a defense.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.