Skip to main content

My divorce papers say I am to pay my ex husband $8000, but I have been unable to refinance due to credit score what can I do?

Summerville, SC |

Payment was suppose to be made by March 2013, but I am unable to get a refi due to my credit score, I have tried twice.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Failure to make this payment could lead to your ex taking you into court on a motion for contempt of the prior court order. You could consult a domestic attorney to deal with the matter, if you don't already have one. You could also consult with a bankruptcy attorney, since it might be possible to deal with this debt in a bankruptcy as well.


I recommend you consult with a local bankruptcy attorney and a local divorce attorney to get the legal advice you need. And after speaking with them, perhaps they will have recommendations on how to approach this matter. If they have no solutions, then perhaps you could talk with your ex husband and see if you two can work out something that will satisfy what you owe him. Whatever you do, make sure that any agreement with your husband is put into writing (written by your attorney) and notarized by both of you. I am licensed in CA and MD, not SC, so this is general information, not legal advice.

Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you because you have not yet retained me, and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is provided as GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. If you want me to provide legal advice, then you must call for a Consultation. If you would like me to represent you, then a Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer