Skip to main content

My Divorce Agreement also states that we must exchange tax returns every year

Dover, MA |

I don't have any income besides child support and alimony so mine is easy, but i think he may be giving me one copy and filing another with IRS, is that possible or are my friends making me paranoid- how do I find someone in Norfolk County, my divorce was in the new court house, that I can trust, I am not going back into Boston, they over charged, there was always traffic and frankly all the attnys both mine and my husbands were mean, even to us.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Don't ever feel paranoid, but do be cautious of everyone giving you Monday morning quarterback advice, although they may be friends, it is diffiuclt unless they have legal training and are familiar with your separation agreement. If you feel that your husband is filing once set of returns and giving you another you can ask him to sign a release and that you can order at your own expense certified copies of the tax returns through the IRS, I believe their are two types, the full version and the transcript/abbreviate return, then you can compare. A CPA could also give you help. take care,

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Attorney Lewis is correct. However, you should know that getting an actual photocopy of a tax return from the IRS takes much longer than getting a tax transcript. There are plenty of family law attorneys with offices in Wellesley, Needham, Dedham and Westwood who are more than capable of assisting you.

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.


Use the "find a lawyer" tab above!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer