Skip to main content

My disabled daughter just turned 18. Do I need to apply to be her legal guardian to handle her financial affairs?

Cincinnati, OH |

She has bank accounts I have kept for her and has an MRDD facilitator and MRDD gets funding. But Michelle gets no medicaid or medical help from the state and is on my poor insurance.
I asked last month about what I need to do specifically when she turns 18 and they haven't told me anything. What do I do so I can be her guardian?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If your daughter is not mentally competent, you can petition the probate court in the county in which your daughter resides for a guardianship. You will need to make to requests. You will be requesting to be named "guardian of the person", which allows you to make medical, housing and other similar decisions, and requesting to be named "guardian of the estate", which will allow you to handle her finances. You can obtain the necessary forms from the probate court. Please be aware that the court's personnel is by law not permitted to assist you with completing the forms. If you do not feel you can fill out the forms properly, you should hire an attorney.

Review this statute: It is the statute that regulates this area of law. Good luck.

This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.