Skip to main content

My daughters mother went to an out of network provider when our daugher was born, am I resposbile for bills?

Chilton, WI |

Whatever her insurance didn't cover, my insuarnce covered when it directly involved my daughter. But there is a $2,000 bill from my ex's hospital stay that she says I owe half for. Do I, though it was her choice to go to an out of network provider?

+ Read More

Filed under: Family law Court orders
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Wisconsin is a mitigation state. If she has a cheaper way, then she is to take it. So, if she went out of network when she knew that would cost more, then you will probably not be required to pay it.

BE SURE to check that these are actually child birthing expenses and not MOTHER Birthing expenses. The court will not order you to pay half of her costs, only the child's.


The scope of your responsibility for medical expenses should be defined in your court order and/or any pertinent written agreements. An analysis of the language contained therein will be necessary to answer your question. I suggest you consult with a local attorney to have these documents reviewed and explained to you. Good luck!

Attorneys in your area may be found by searching among the profiles here on Avvo.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


In Wisconsin there is general language that the father is responsible for birthing expenses. It is not clear what your responsibility would be for out of network costs as there was no order the time the child was born. I agree that Wisconsin is a mitigation state so the mother needs to take the most reasonable cost effective approach. When you go into court have the court make clear exactly what you are responsible for. It would probably be wise to bring an attorney with you. You have a strong argument that your responsibility should be less than she is requesting.