Skip to main content

My daughters father is in violation of his court order. what do I do?

Columbus, GA |

The jude ordered that she skype's me 3 times a week. her father is to pay half of my plane ticket and also fly her to me during the summer. That was ordered 3 years ago. I havent been able to see her since she left and his excuse was that he didnt have a computer. he would ignore my request to have her during the summer. he said I cant have her when I come visit if he didnt like the female friend I would be staying with during my visit. please tell me what my next step should be? do I contact the judge?

+ Read More

Filed under: Family law
Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You need to file a contempt action against your daughter's father. Such an action would be filed in the same court that issued the Order that he is violating, and would need to be properly served upon him. If you are not certain how to accomplish this, you need to contact a family law attorney who practices in your area.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.


Based on the facts you presented, your daughter's father is in violation of the court order and can be held in contempt. As my colleague stated, you need to file an action for contempt. His actions may also have an effect on custody. You definitely need to contact an attorney to go over the specifics of your case and to assist you in filing for contempt as well as possibly addressing modification of the order (which will be based on the totality of circumstances). Good luck!


It is important that you take action as soon as possible and file a Contempt action in the court that entered the original order. You may also have a good case for a Modification of Custody, based on the facts you provided. I would consult a family law attorney as soon as possible.


You don't contact the judge. Instead you retain a lawyer, who likely will file a contempt (and possibly other things).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer