Skip to main content

My daughter has been in the custody of her grandparents since he mother left her with them when she moved to North Carolina.

Alden, NY |

My daughter has been living with them for approximately 7 years (she is currently 19 years old now). Her grandfather is currently trying to sue me in small claims court over a dental bill. Only me, not my daughter's mother. Does he have the right to single me out specifically and not her? Why shouldn't he be suing the both of us?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Suits involving the support of children are heard in family court. The bill was for the child, not the grandparent so the grandparent is not the proper defendant.

Have an attorney review all the facts of the situation and file appropriate motions to dismiss the proceeding

Good luck.


If you are not paying child support , then it may be worth it to lay based upon how much you have saved over the years. If you are sued for child support, then you may be liable until the child turns 21. Mother can also be sued by custodian of child for child support. Up to custodian to commence a child support case.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


From the information you provided, the mother is equally obligated for support, and the grandparents would presumably have to file against both of you in family court for support related expenses, as this is one. However, if the mother and you are paying no support, and this is all the GPs want, you are getting off cheap.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer