Skip to main content

My daughter has a Petty Theft charge against her and has a Pre-Trial Conference. Does she need an attorney to represent her?

Orlando, FL |

My daughter is a college student and is not able to make it to Orlando for the day and time that her conference has been scheduled. What should she do? What kind of expense should she be prepared for? I am making her pay for all of the expenses since this is her issue and she needs to suffer the consequences.
But being her mom, I am concerned and need to make sure this gets handled correctly.
Please advise.
Thank You.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7

Best Answer

She needs a lawyer if she is not going to go otherwise she will get a warrant for her arrest. A lawyer can waiver her appearance and appear for her and try and work the case out. Call my office tomorrow if you have questions or want my representation.

For more information or to set up a free consultation contact the Law Office of Corey Cohen at 407-246-0066 or visit our website at Twitter @cohenlawyer


If she hires an attorney they can waive her appearance at pre trial conferences. It is likely that an attorney can get her charges dropped after completion of a pre trial intervention program. Feel free to contact my office for more information.


Most private defense attorneys can waive a clients appearance for a pretrial. However certain notice requirements must be met. Additionally, If her charges are handled incorrectly she could have a theft charge on her record permanently.

I would advise that she consult with a local criminal defense attorney to discuss what ca be done. Many employers frown on charges of dishonesty/theft etc.

Visit our website at to ask your legal question or call for a more detailed free consultation for your legal issue. The information presented is for information purposes only based on the information provided. An attorney client relationship is not formed.


She needs an attorney to evaluate her case and prepare it for court. Her appearance at the pretrial conference can be waived. We offer discounts to students and you may contact me to discuss the case if you wish. Best of luck.


Hire a criminal defense attorney NOW to represent your daughter.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


If she were my daughter, I would retain an attorney. You must think about her record. It might also be possible that the matter could be handled through the mail so that her studies will not hav e to interupt her studies. As to costs, there are several options.


Your daughter needs to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent her in court. Once the defense attorney files a notice of appearance for her, the court will set the case for a pretrial conference. Her personal appearance can be waived if the defense attorney files a waiver on her behalf. If this is her first offense, the attorney can request a pretrial diversion program and perhaps convince the prosecutor to allow her to complete the diversion program. If she successfully completes the diversion program, the State usually agrees to dismiss the case. After college graduation and "maturity" occurs, she may find the petit theft arrest record will not look good when she applies for employment. She may ultimately have to seek to expunge the record in order to become employed at a responsible job. She will need and attorney at each stage of these proceedings.

These comments are not to be construed as legal advice and are not attorney-client privileged. I suggest you contact the attorney of your choice for consultation. Stan Peacock,

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer