My daughter broke her wrist at school during recess. Is there a lawsuit possible?

Schenectady, NY |

She fell off of the monkey bars while playing at recess but the school offered their insurance to cover the doctor bills. Can I file a lawsuit?

You may be able to to file a lawsuit based upon negligent supervision. Do not delay though, there is a strict period of time in which a Notice of Claim must be filed. Contact a local personal injury attorney immediately.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Perhaps. It depends on the facts and circumstances of her fall. You should contact a local personal injury attorney to discuss the school's potential liability. Keep in mind that if this is a public school, there are very short notice of claim requirements which, if not complied with, may prevent you from pursuing a claim.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

She may have a claim if you can prove that the playground was unsafe (i.e. insufficient ground cover, the monkey bars were too high, etc.), or that the school negligently supervised your daughter. You should take pictures immediately and you must file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of her accident or you could forever be precluded from bringing a claim. Contact a local lawyer as soon as possible. Good luck.

New York Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorney Serving NYC, Long Island, Westchester and the surrounding areas. The information provided herein is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. The content herein is for information and educational purposes only, and is based on the limited information provided. Any information provided is not intended to, and does not, create any attorney/client relationship where none exists. For legal advice, please consult with an attorney. While this posting is made for informational purposes only for the AVVO community, to the extent one seeks to contact me based on the content herein, or that this may be viewed by some to be attorney advertising, please be advised of the following: *Attorney Advertising

I assume she just fell off of her own accord rather than something wrong with the monkey bars. If that is the case the issue is how she landed and whether the safety padding was sufficient. If this is a public school you need to serve a Notice of Claim within 90 days of the accident. Consult a personal injury lawyer ASAP.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Repeat question.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.

You need to consult with an attorney to discuss/ review what caused her to fall. We're the bars broken or defective in any way? If not, you are looking at an assumption of risk situation. How old is she? A claim for negligent supervision would be difficult as well since the best supervision would not have prevented a spontaneous accident like that. If its a public school, you will need to file a Notice of Claim within 90 days and the statute of limitations is shortened. Best to seek a consultation soon.

My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" www.kileylawfirm.com 516 466-7900

Duplicate post. Asked and answered.

You will need to establish that the school was negligent and that their negligence was the primary cause of her injury. If the school did not adequately supervise or monitor the activity that resulted in her injury, you might have a case. There are strict time limits involved insuring a public school, so please consult with a qualified attorney right away.