Skip to main content

My daughter ( a minor) sent inappropriate pictures to someone (a minor) in Sweden. He posted them online without permission.

New York, NY |

Do I have any legal options available to me? I have already contacted the websites that the pictures are supposedly posted on and have asked about ways to remove them.

Thanks for your help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


One someone sends a picture to someone else they lose control of it. In theory your child can be arrested for disseminating indecent material to a minor. It probably won't happen.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You may have recourse under both U.S. and Swedish law. However, it will be quite an ordeal to go through; make sure the potential additional damage is worth the effort.

Contacting the web sites it a good start. Since the pictures involve a minor, you should also involve the authorities both in the U.S. and in Sweden.



In my experience, porn sites know they are targets and try to limit their liability.

I would think the web sites posting pictures of minors would want to get them off of their site. If you do not hear back from the sites in a couple of days, you could hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter.
Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.


I am currently working on a book that a parent can give to their children, one for 12-16 year olds and one for 16-21 years olds. I have learned in 30 years of practicing criminal law that 80% of all parents do not have a proper "talk" with their children. They do not inform them of their constitutional rights, how to remain silent and not talk to the police, give them the phone number of a lawyer to contact, instruct them on how to avoid breaking the dozens of laws, and the consequences of making bad decisions and getting a criminal record. Parents are either reluctant or do not know how to impart the proper advice on sex, drugs, crimes, the internet, and the dangers of being in chat rooms and on social media sites. Have a talk with her and teach her how to make good decisions in the future and continue to contact the websites. Advise hr hat anything you give someone or anything you say can be forever on the internet and there is little you can do about it. You can get arrested for harassment, enticing a minor, child porn, or a number of charges. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer