Skip to main content

My dad wonts to adopt my 15 yr old daughter who still lives with her mother,and will even after the adoption.How to do this?

Vidalia, GA |

i will be signing parental rights away to him(my dad),which he is more able to pay for her,than i am,but the child will continue to live with the mother until shes would we go about setting this up?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The real question is why you would do this. He can pay expenses without adoption. Consult a local attorney and discuss the matter in detail before doing anything that may have lasting and unfortunate consequences.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


I agree with David. There can be no adoption unless the mother agrees to the arrangement. As the grandfather he has all the love of a grandfather without obligations. He can pick and choose how and when to help his grandson.

Did I miss something? Hopefully, some lawyer can set him straight.


He cannot adopt without terminating both your rights and the mother's rights as well, something she will probably not want to do. If he wants to support the child, he has every right to do so as long as the mother accepts it. He may also want to provide for the child directly in his will.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation