Skip to main content

My dad passed away and they sent a check out to him befor they found out passed can i get in trouble?

San Diego, CA |

I cashed my fathers check after he passed to help my mom I've never been in truoble with the law we both have the same name but he's senior he got the check a lil after his death can I get in trouble?

+ Read More

Filed under: Probate Social security
Attorney answers 5


Technically you could but I think the odds are in your favor. Still it's not something you should do again.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


I agree with Attorney Reed. It would appear that you have no legal defense, if anyone decides to challenge this. It is not clear from your summary whether there is anyone who might do so. If you are taken to task on this, you will need to hire an attorney to assist you.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


The chances of you getting in any trouble are slim. If the maker of the check wants the money back however, you will have to return it. For instance, a social security or military benefits check paid after death (if paid for the following month which is typical) will need to be paid back to social security or the military and they will pursue collection of it.



I'm willing to pay it back they already took 215.00$ from my account the check was only 632.00$


What was the check for? That is necessary to know if its a no harm no foul situation

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.



The check was his ssi check I only cashed it to help my mom pay back the people who helped her with his funeral


Yes you can get into trouble. You need to pay back the money that you took.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer